Monday, December 10, 2012

Booked for Bouchercon 2013

In 2013, Bouchercon, the World Mystery Convention, will be held at the Empire State Plaza in Albany, NY, September 19-22. I've been two previous Bouchercons, and, as Albany is only a three-hour drive from home, I knew this would be my third.

I registered for the con as a Black Friday present to myself, and, following @Bouchercon2013 on Twitter, I saw that the hotel information posted to the site today. I booked a room at the Hampton Inn, five blocks from the convention center, but $35 cheaper than the nearer hotels.

I'll be spreading the word about The 5-2: Crime Poetry Weekly, of course, and I hope the Short Mystery Fiction Society will have a Derringer Award presentation (Anyone can join the SMFS by December 31 to be part of the 2013 Derringer submission, judging, and voting process that begins on January 1). I'd love to be on another panel about crime and poetry or short stories, but I'll also enjoy the con as a fan. I'm particularly looking forward to lunch with my investigator friend, John DuMond.

If you're also attending, feel free to ambush-greet me.

3 comments:

John DuMond said...

I'm glad to hear you'll be here, Gerald. I have yet to register for Bouchercon. It'll probably have to wait until after the start of the new year. It will be my first, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I have sad news to report regarding Tags. They closed for good on October 31st. Two (seemingly endless) construction projects reduced their lunchtime traffic to a trickle. Ann, the owner, told us that she hadn't been making a profit in quite some time. I'm still in search of a new regular lunch spot, but there are numerous little delis in and around Albany. I'm sure I'll be able to find someplace good before B'con.

Graham Powell said...

I haven't registered yet, but will definitely be there. I'm going to try to be in the convention hotel, after my experience in St. Louis, where my hotel was a full mile away. It looked so close on the map!

Gerald So said...

There is no official host hotel. The nearest one is three blocks from the convention center and $35 more expensive than the Hampton.