Wednesday, February 06, 2013

International Please Don't Pirate My Books Day

Today, in other words, is the brainchild of novelist, screenwriter, and game designer Chuck Wendig. I'm participating because, like Chuck, I believe creative and clerical work has value. The books I publish will never be free, but ebooks do cost less to make than print books, and ereader vendors control how long ebooks are stored. I set my prices accordingly.

Perhaps pirates don't genuinely value what they take. If they did, they would pay for it. But everyone values something and would cry foul if that something were taken without compensation.

An artist's creation expresses his individuality on levels even he doesn't see. In that sense, it's more valuable than any price one could set. Please consider paying a fair price.

No comments: