Friday, January 23, 2015

FOX's Backstrom

© by Gerald So | geraldso.blogspot.com | 11:36 A.M.

My interest in Backstrom began when I learned Hart Hanson was developing the show. Hanson developed Bones from Kathy Reichs's life and books, and it's remained one of my favorite shows for ten years. I didn't know how I'd react to Rainn Wilson's Backstrom, though, who I'd heard was an incorrigible, self-destructive character similar to Gregory House.

Backstrom won me over a few minutes in, with the line, "Knowing I don't have long to live gives me the courage to do what's right." The show was originally in contention at CBS, but they passed. FOX allows things to get a little edgier.

I especially enjoy Backstrom's way of reading people: empathizing with them but confronting them at the same time, and letting viewers know what he's thinking. With this style, for example, he deduced that his Hindu doctor had no belief in reincarnation and was, in fact, terrified of death.

And like TV's Brennan before him, Backstrom is backed by characters who stand out on their own and can go toe-to-toe with him, played by actors not overshadowed by Wilson.

2 comments:

Graham Powell said...

I thought Rainn Wilson was really good, especially showing Backstrom screwing up and regretting it. First episode was a bit uneven, since they had to give all the supporting players some screen time, but I'm hoping it gets better.

MysterLynch said...

Wife and I both are really enjoying Backstrom, the cast has chemistry and Wilson's offensiveness is delightful. But what makes the show is that the 2nd and 3rd episodes give us a glimpse past the nasty, negative outer shell.