Sunday, January 18, 2015

Living the Dream

© by Gerald So | geraldso.blogspot.com | 4:00 A.M.

My family emigrated to the United States when I was two months old, six years after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. Like many Americans my age or younger, I've taken for granted the dignity and rights King stood for. Growing up, I faced racism and other discrimination but paid it little mind, knowing I was not what others said I was.

In college, I chose not to join the Asian American club because, secure as I am in my identity, I didn't want to define myself or form friendships by race. Instead, I joined the formative stages of a literary magazine that naturally drew all sorts of people by interest, and the founding members remain my closest friends.

It all happened with little effort on my part. In my own sphere, I've freely given and received respect and been able to live as I wish. The world is changed one person at a time.

No comments: