Friday, December 15, 2017

Bill Crider Day

© by Gerald So | 12:00 noon

On December 5, Bill Crider blogged what may turn out to be his final entry, giving an update that his cancer had worsened to the point he was advised to enter hospice care. Today, Patti Abbott is collecting tributes to Bill through her Friday's Forgotten Books series.

This is a spontaneous entry, more about my friendship with Bill than his books. We first corresponded through DetecToday, my discussion group for 1980–present P.I. fiction. We were also great fans of Robert B. Parker's fiction and of short stories, serving as reviewers on Nasty. Brutish. Short.

Bill was first to greet me at my first Bouchercon, 2008 in Baltimore. At Bouchercon 2011 in St. Louis, he saw me in the audience at one of his panels and recommended my ebook of 1930s aviator stories, Stones. I'm especially grateful to have chatted with Bill two months ago at Bouchercon 2017 in Toronto.

No comments: