Saturday, October 02, 2004

McCall Smith Signing (Postgame)

I gave myself two hours extra time between arrival at Penn Station and the signing, and ended up burning forty-five minutes finding my way from West 4th Street to the bookstore.

Smith didn't read from his new book, but he did talk candidly about sausage dogs, pursuing the right level of pretentiousness, and his quick-spreading condition: serial novelism. A wonderfully engaging speaker. I look forward to reading his books.

As luck would have it, I got to sit behind S.J. Rozan and friends. Sarah Weinman spotted me before I spotted her. In fairness, Sarah has changed hairstyles since I last saw her. I had my hair cut today at the usual place, and so very much resemble the photo seen here.

David White caught the last half of the event, and afterward the three of us chatted. Sarah introduced Dave to S.J. I still haven't been introduced, but I did give her a knowing smile as she saved her seat. At one point, I talked basketball, bringing up her point guard-play on the Bouchercon b-ball squad.

All in all, a fine experience. My thanks to Sarah and Dave, Mr. Smith, and the staff of Partners & Crime.

No comments: