Monday, March 21, 2005

"Near, Far, (Far Away)—Wherever You Are..."

From IMDb:
Star Wars III: "'Titanic' in Space"

The final Star Wars movie will be an emotional "Titanic in space", according to director George Lucas. Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith will hit movie theatres in America in May bringing to an end the most celebrated sci-fi film franchise in screen history. Episodes I and II, released 16 years after the last of the original trilogy Return Of The Jedi, were derided by critics and fans - who felt they lacked the quality of their predecessors. But Lucas is promising Episode III, which will bring the series to a close, will be a different affair. He says, "It's a real tearjerker, and it will be received in a way that none of us can expect. I feel that I've made the movie the best I can and it turned out the way I wanted it to be, so I'm happy." And he insists he isn't concerned about fans' response to Episode III: "I never try to anticipate what the world's going to think or even worry about whether they're going to like it or not. That's not my job, to make people like my movies. They either like them or they don't. That's completely out of my hands." Speaking at the ShoWest conference in Las Vegas, Nevada, Lucas refused to give away the film's plot - but screened the first six minutes of the film, and told audience members, "Obviously, fans would love to see a movie about Darth Vader running around killing people. I'm not telling that story, and I'm not interested in that. That's not what the movie is. This first trilogy is really about the father, the struggles of a father, or a man, basically, to find himself, and at the same time fall into a trap of wanting certain powers, making a pact with the devil and basically spending the rest of his life regretting it."

Some dissection of the language:

"That's not my job, to make people like my movies...That's completely out of my hands."

It's not beyond an author to create characters and a story people will enjoy. Even the darkest tale has to have a character you can stand behind and root for. That is the author's job, at least partially in his control. Lucas could have made Luke Skywalker an ignoramus or Obi-wan an insufferable taskmaster, but he didn't. He stuck with tried-and-true archetypes that audiences have enjoyed since before stories were written.

"Obviously, fans would love to see a movie about Darth Vader running around killing people."

Is this obvious? It certainly isn't true in my case. I haven't enjoyed this trilogy because it's about an unsympathetic character—arrogant Anakin Skywalker—becoming even more despicable.

"This first trilogy is really about the father, the struggles of a father, or a man, basically, to find himself, and at the same time fall into a trap of wanting certain powers, making a pact with the devil and basically spending the rest of his life regretting it."

I might accept Lucas's synopsis if I watched the two trilogies back-to-back. But in Episodes I and II, Anakin isn't a father yet. Viewers are forced to make connections between the two trilogies on their own. The fact that Lucas has to explain the arc of Episodes I, II, and III itself shows he's failed to dramatize his vision this time around.

1 comment:

Dave White said...

I think that the series should have started with the 2nd movie. I'd really want to see Darth kicking some ass. But that could be just me. I'm just afraid this movie is going to feel rushed, that there's too much to fit in.