Thursday, May 12, 2005

"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan."

A college friend of mine, now a blogger, is debating whether to attend her high school reunion:

The cons are many: it's far (though I could use the trip as an excuse to do other things on the East Coast), I have a hot date who, though he may consent to go with me, would be bored to tears by the entire event, I hated most of the people with whom I went to high school, I left things rather awkwardly with the people I DID like, the very idea of spending time in a tacky hotel in the suburbs, even if the bar is open and the food is free, me + open bar + people I don't like = barbs and other snarky quips I will never be able to take back, it costs $99, and if I'm going to spend $99 in NY I'm going to sit in the first row at Glengarry Glen Ross.

The only pro is sweet, sweet schadenfreude.

Any thoughts?

I commented:

I skipped my tenth-year reunion for many of the same reasons you're pondering. The day after the reunion, the Anakin to my Obi-Wan--a good friend with a bad temper who drifted toward an ornery crowd--sent me a scathing e-mail berating me for not attending. Luckily, I remained calm in response and we were able to catch up, to the extent I wanted.

Of course, I didn't have a date for the reunion and hadn't progressed enough to throw shady fruit at classmates.


When last I e-mailed my high school friend, we were on good terms. I wish him the best.

1 comment:

Graham Powell said...

Kids these days. My 20th reunion is only 2 years away.