Thursday, June 30, 2005

"Are you ready to begin?"


Liam Neeson as Ducard training a young Bruce Wayne

Three friends and I went to see Batman Begins last night at the Loews IMAX Theater in Lincoln Square. Before the movie, we had pizza at Francesco's, where according to a photo on the wall, Dakota Fanning had her first slice of New York pizza.

Anyway, this was a great summer movie featuring Liam Neeson as a much more sinister and vibrant mentor than Qui-Gon Jinn. If only Ducard had been around to show Anakin how to conquer his fear.

Christian Bale brought his trademark complexity to Bruce Wayne and the rest of the cast was right on the money. Except for Katie Holmes.

I went in wondering what I would think of her performance had her visibility not exploded. Answer: I would have found her melodramatic as I always have.

Tickets were a steep $15, but I was only mildly annoyed that the projector shorted out just as Batman brought Gotham kingpin Carmine Falcone to justice.

Bring on The Joker.

No comments: