Saturday, August 04, 2007

I've Finally Seen: GALAXY QUEST (1999)

I liked the actors; I liked the concept; but I only got around to watching this movie tonight. It's a pitch-perfect sendup of cult sci-fi fandom with, yes, heart.

An earnest alien race in need of protection mistakes a 70s-80s TV show for a factual account, assuming the show's cast (Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub, Daryl Mitchell, Sam Rockwell) are actually the characters they play. I would've related to the movie when it premiered as a Star Trek fan. I relate even better now as a Firefly fan.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I have never been able to get past Tim Allen starring in it and rent it. Always has seemed like the proverbial nasty comic.

John DuMond said...

Galaxy Quest is one of my favorites. Best Trek sendup ever.

Patti,
Say what you will about Allen, but he really nails the role of the egocentric Shatner-esque TV star.