Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Review Policy

Jungle Red Writers today welcomes reviewer-turned-author Terry Ambrose, who offers advice on how authors can have their books reviewed. My comment reveals my own approach to reviewing books, TV, movies, and DVDs on my blog and for various sites and magazines:

...I make no promise that I will post a review, so if I really don't like something, I don't review it.

With an academic background in writing and teaching, I can hone in on the material and not sound as if I'm grilling the author (because I'm not). I think reviewers have an obligation to give a balanced view of the material, pointing out what they liked, but also pointing out what others might not like (e.g. "The violence may be too much for some, but I found it appropriate to the story").

Browse my reviews.

No comments: