Friday, January 16, 2004

I've Finally Seen: MALLRATS

I watched MALLRATS on DVD today, behind millions in my age group as usual. In addition to comic book and STAR WARS philosophy, I admit fascinations with post-"90210" Shannen Doherty and British actress Claire Forlani. To top it off, I'm a sucker for quests to kindle (or rekindle) romance.

So I enjoyed the movie, though I would have related better in college, as I was going through the same emotions. Stylistically, I thought too many characters made drawn-out life observations--a Kevin Smith trademark, I gather--and plot twists wound into a bit too much closure. The smooth adversary (Ben Affleck) is really a phony while the slacker protagonists aren't so bad, really. It all works out in the end, unlike the other Smith flick I've seen, CHASING AMY.

No comments: