Wednesday, January 14, 2004

More Implausible Than a Loco Motive

Going through most of my school years with glasses, I identified with Clark Kent. Only I never liked to think of Clark as a bumbling goody-goody. Instead, I always wondered which of his identities was the secret. If a person spent most of his time in one identity, and only the odd heroic moment in the other, wouldn't the latter be the *secret* identity? So I'm partial to the recent conception of Superman as Clark Kent at heart, having formed his values as Clark. This is what appeals to me about the WB's "Smallville," the true-to-life moments of Clark and friends trying for normalcy.

From time to time, though, the need to advance a super-plot gets in the way. Case in point, the mid-season cliffhanger going into holiday reruns. In the first part, we learn that Lionel Luthor has been drugging Lex, trying to wipe his short term memory of some event. Lex appears to be losing touch with reality, and Clark, of course, wants to help. We also learn that Clark has made a promise never to put Lana in harm's way again. So who's the person he confides in taking his chance to help Lex? Lana. And after reiterating his "never again" promise, in whose care does Clark leave an obviously unstable Lex? Lana's.

At this point in my viewing, time seems to slow down, and I have a clear moment to think Absolutely implausible. But the story goes on. Lex turns on Lana, throwing her into a horse's stall to be trampled. Lana breaks her leg in three places and spends a month in rehab, where she meets a new guy.

Too bad for our hero, but none of this would've happened had Clark's promise not slipped his mind so quickly. Holy plothole, Batman. But I digress...

No comments: