Monday, February 23, 2004

"I'm Not a Pilot, but I Write About One."

My latest purchase at Amazon.com includes the FAA AIRPLANE FLYING HANDBOOK, another research investment in my most successful series character, C.J. Stone. By reading about how to fly, I hope to add another level of authenticity to the stories. Ironically I abandoned C.J. for eight years, looking to create meatier characters. And while I have several mainstream pieces I'm proud of, no characters kept coming back like C.J. and friends. I figure if they're gonna stick around, I might as well write 'em as best I can.

Having read my fill of technical specs and protocols in Tom Clancy novels, I like my research to spice up stories, not be their main ingredient. And speaking of ingredients, a lot of writers start with character; I start with plot. What's going on here? What has happened in my life that I can use for fiction? Would the events be more dramatic if someone othan than I went through them? (When the answer is no, I use myself. Hey, why not?)

I see the action first, then focus in on who's doing what to whom.

No comments: