Wednesday, March 17, 2004

A Round for the Irish

I have no blood ties I know of, but I did attend St. Brigid's for most of grade school, where I had a crush on an Irish girl and where the uniform consisted of a yellow shirt, green slacks, and a green plaid tie. For high school, I attended St. Mary's. Our teams were called the Gaels, Irish warriors. My father and I listened to Irish comedy and song on A-Tracks and later Hofstra's Irish song program on Saturdays.

I've enjoyed a handful of Irish writers, including James Joyce, W.B. Yeats, William Trevor, Gregory Mcdonald, Robert B. Parker, Jeremiah Healy, and Dennis Lehane.

I tip my cap to performers Brian Dennehy, Jerry O'Connell, Danica McKellar, Deborah Gibson, The Corrs, Pierce Brosnan, Liam Neeson, Jenny McCarthy, Julie McCollough, Shannen Doherty, Colm Meaney, and Kate Mulgrew.

No comments: