Thursday, April 15, 2004

"You Like It?"

As you may know, I've taken off from teaching this semester to write. However, being a friend to the writing lab staff, when asked to help grade Hofstra's Writing Proficiency Exam yesterday and today, I went.

There was a tutoring session going on when I arrived today, a female student whose paper had something to do with hardboiled fiction. The student was looking for a word to describe the portrayal of women in HB, a synonym for "mean." The tutor consulted me, and I came up with "unsavory," which seemed to fit the tutee's thinking. When the tutor explained that I was a fan and writer of the stuff, the tutee asked me:

"You like it?"

"I'm not sure this is the best time to tell you."

"Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler...They seem so misogynistic."

"Well, they are dated." Ever the diplomat.

I hemmed and hawed the rest of the way, trying to salvage my good name from her lima bean and brussel sprout-distaste for Dash and Ray, while feeling exactly like Chekov on the run from 20th century Navy security in Star Trek IV:

"Scotty, now would be a good time."

No comments: