Saturday, May 01, 2004

Glenn Ford and Julie Benz

Today is a birthday for Western star Glenn Ford (88) and "Buffy" and "Angel" player Julie Benz. While I haven't seen many of the films for which Ford is famous, I did see him as Jonathan Kent in SUPERMAN (1978). One of his lines is the most memorable for me: "There's one thing I do know, son, and that's you are here for a reason."

For me, the most appealing aspect of Superman lore is not the power given to Kal-El by Earth's sun, but the values and lessons in humanity taught by Jonathan and Martha Kent. I was gratified to see the father-son chemistry between John Schneider and Tom Welling on "Smallville."

Julie Benz played Darla, the vampire who sired Angel (David Boreanaz) and was his lover for a hundred and fifty years until he met Buffy. Originally expected to appear only in the Buffy pilot, Darla appeared in half the first season's episodes, and "Angel" expanded upon her history. I found Darla and Angel's relationship more interesting because it wasn't "meant to be." I find many fictional meant-to-be relationships forced. (Buffy and Angel, Lois and Clark, Zach and Kelly, Ross and Rachel...)

In real life, Benz is married to John "The Crypt Keeper" Kassir.

No comments: