Monday, May 31, 2004

Thirty-Firsts

As an academic (Master's degree parlayed into a teaching job), I'll probably never outgrow the school year, leading me to relax in the summer and feel an extra prick of cold come September.

That said, I'm grateful that three of North America's summer months (counting May, with Memorial Day, the unofficial start of summer) have thirty-one days. The thirty-first has often been a day to complete any unfinished business before heading into the new month.

My favorite 31st is in July, because it's deep into my relaxed phase while still having the whole month of August before the dreaded September. However, as this year brought my first extended time off from school, I'm finding May 31st not too shabby--a last day for serious thought before my brain shifts into cruise control on a summer-long road trip:

Baby, let's cruise
away from here.
Don't be confused,
the way is clear.

2 comments:

Mystery Dawg said...

As a fellow academian, I agree. However for the last 12 years I have been on the adminstrative side of the fence so I only have 5 weeks of vacation.

I like July 31st for a different reason...its by birthday!

Enjoy the day Gerald!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone identify the problem with the statement: I only have five weeks vacation? ;) Teachers earn it to be sure, but it's hard not to be jealous! ;)

Dale