Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Waiting for the Fog to Lift

Now that "Home" is out of my hands, I'm suddenly doing no writing (unless you count blogging and commenting). Even the shortest periods of inactivity can get to me, probably because I'm aware of how much time I spent doing no writing in the past. I'm talking months without a sheet of laser paper used.

They say if you wait for inspiration, you won't make a living as a writer, but there are periods where all one can do is wait on an idea. The key, then, is to cultivate several ideas--all at different stages of readiness. If one idea flags, don't call it a day, but switch to another idea, and another, and so on.

Every idea starts in a confusing fog that lifts a little each day until I can see the idea in its entirety. I take heart in that.

No comments: