Monday, July 26, 2004

Michael Connelly

Having finished Estleman's Angel Eyes yesterday, I'm now reading The Black Echo, Michael Connelly's first Harry Bosch novel. It's been on my to-be-read stack for three years, but I've never been as ready to read it as I am now. I had a similar experience with Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan. A cousin gave me The Cardinal of the Kremlin for Christmas one year, and I finished it four years later, after first reading The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games.

One reason I've held off reading some big name authors in the past is the worry that I would go in with false expectations, that I would feel pressure to like these authors because other readers did. Ideally, I think books, movies, music should be experienced without hype, allowing the individual to form an opinion naturally.

1 comment:

Dave White said...

I think Connelly's great, but he takes some time to get used to. The first two novels are "eh" and then he really picks up steam with Concrete Blonde and Last Coyote and then comes The Poet and it's all uphill from there in terms of great quality.