Thursday, August 26, 2004

Sealed with a Smiley

Received a reply SASE from staplegun press ("Poetry that humps your leg."). The envelope was sealed with a smiley-face sticker, and I thought, Could be a good omen.

It was. My poem "Actors"--inspired by Inside the Actor's Studio--will appear in the upcoming final issue.

Most of my formal training has been in prose, but the two people to read my prose with the most serious eyes of late--one of whom is a graduate of the Iowa Writers' Workshop--said they could tell I was a poet.

Having turned the bulk of my efforts to "Home," I've written one poem in the past three months. This acceptance comes as a life nudge just when I needed it: Hey, you're good at this. Keep it up.

My thanks and best to Editor Scott Gordon and Contributing Editor Karl Koweski.

UPDATE (07/27/05): staplegun press folded without publishing the promised final issue in which "Actors" was to appear. I've sent the poem in a batch of three to Greg Edwards at Naked Knuckle.