Thursday, August 12, 2004

Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?

It's a year to the day of the blackout that we now know started in Ohio, spreading as far as New York and parts of Canada.

It was four days before my friend John's wedding. He had asked me to read two readings at the ceremony, and had just left my house, having dropped off said readings, when the power went out.

It was almost four p.m., but still bright enough to charge two solar lanterns. We'd replaced our phones a few months before, and my brother had the foresight to make two of them landlines. We survived with two radios, three flashlights, the lanterns, and several candles.

I did my first practice reads by flashlight. The readings, there's a story all its own. Suffice it to say, due to the blackout and a series of karmic twists, I was forced to rehearse the Genesis "from Adam's rib" story and Corinthians' "Love is always patient and kind...Love does not come to an end" in front of a girl friend (sic) from college.

Irony of ironies. Some spaces can never be overcome...

Oh, the day of the wedding? I aced it.

1 comment:

Dave White said...

Hmmm, where was I? Sitting at home... My backyard neightbors' power was out for hours. Mine went out for twenty minutes. But I celebrated in style anyway. First I called my buddy who was stuck in the city, just to give him a list of things I wanted in case the looting started. And then I went over to my other pal's place where his lights were out and we sat and drank and smoked cigars and listened to the Yankees on the radio. Fun night.