Monday, September 27, 2004

Early Review: "Clubhouse"

CBS premiered the baseball/coming-of-age drama "Clubhouse" last night. I've mentioned the unfortunate name given Dean Cain's character: Conrad Dean. The creators also saw fit to name the just-hired-batboy lead character "Pete Young," unfortunate also because the actor is smiley and young-looking. (In the pilot, we're supposed to believe he has a license to drive a player's Ferrari to the shop. The older I get, the younger people look to me.)

Pete's mother (Mare Winningham) comes off as straining and whiny, not the stern single mother I expected. His sister, logically I guess, is also whiny. Finally, Christopher Lloyd, who I thought was playing the team manager, actually plays the equipment manager. Holy microcosm, batboy!

To top it off, because this was a pilot, everyone had to be introduced:

"I'm Conrad Dean."

"I know who you are, Mr. Dean. I'm Pete, Pete Young."


Dean Cain is making the rounds of New York talk shows this week. How will he spin this?


(L to R) Dean Cain as Conrad Dean, Christopher Lloyd as Lou Russo, and Jeremy Sumpter as Pete Young in "Clubhouse."

No comments: