Wednesday, September 08, 2004

While I Was Sleeping...

Early to bed, early to rise. I've never been able to stay up for Leno, Letterman, and O'Brien. I do my best work in the wee hours of the morning, which requires me to sleep early and has caused me to miss some improbable sports comebacks such as the Yankees' Game 5 comeback against the Diamondbacks in the 2001 World Series.

I normally watch NCIS at 8pm on Tuesdays, but as occurs all too often, last night's Yankee game pushed NCIS to 1:37am. I turned to the U.S. Open and saw that Jennifer Capriati--"This one, a long time have I watched"--had come out flat against Serena Williams in their quarterfinal match. Capriati lost the first set 6-2, and I figured Serena had the match in hand.

This morning, I clicked on Yahoo! Sports and saw Serena pumping a fist, but the headline read Capriati gives Serena the boot.

Chair umpire Mariana Alves overruled two crucial calls. Later, replays showed at least two other incorrect calls. Alves is not scheduled to umpire again, and we're left to wonder if she's been fired.

Whoa.

No comments: