Tuesday, October 12, 2004

The "Home" Stretch

My third-person, standalone story "Home" culminated in my single best writing day so far.

I completed the penultimate revision on Saturday, August 22, and sent it to Charlie Stella, who, having seen an earlier version, had offered to look at a revision. Charlie got back to me with comments at five a.m. Sunday (I happened to be up). I made some final edits and submitted the story to SHOTS Fiction Editor Sarah Weinman at 7:42 a.m.

Sarah originally saw "Home" right after Charlie and had patiently encouraged a revision for three months. She replied at 1:35 Sunday afternoon, accepting the story for SHOTS #23.

They don't all happen this way. I'm thrilled to have experienced such great timing even once. My thanks once again to Sarah, Charlie, Dave White, Jim Winter, and Ray Banks--without each of whom the story might still be in stasis.

No comments: