Monday, October 18, 2004

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

My brother and I caught a matinee ($6.50) of SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW yesterday.

For the most part, I bought the film's attempt to echo 1930s B-movie cheese. My biggest worry was that I wouldn't suspend disbelief in the computer-generated backgrounds, but they blended in well enough.

I might have changed a line here or there (Would the two leads really take time to banter as a doomsday device counts down?), but overall it was upbeat fare I'd buy on DVD.

My favorite sequence:

Sky Captain, Polly, and gadget guru Dex have just watched a rescued scientist charge recklessly toward the evil mastermind's private study, only to be electrocuted to death by a forcefield.

Dex fiddles with some wiring, after which Sky Captain asks, "Did it work?"

"There's one way to find out," Dex says.

Polly and Sky Captain clasp hands and cross the threshhold together. No forcefield. Sigh of relef.

Cut to Dex: "I meant throw something."

No comments: