Monday, November 15, 2004

Cosby Speaks Out Again

From IMDb:
Cosby Blasts African-Americans Again

Funnyman Bill Cosby has attacked his fellow African-Americans again, blasting community leaders on live TV for not getting tough with rising problems. Cosby appeared on CNN presenter Paula Zahn's Paula Zahn Now show last week and launched into a lengthy rant about the poor state of black America. He targeted juvenile delinquency, poor parenting and bad language for the problems, and urged his black fans to take more responsibility. He fumed, "This is about little children... and people not giving them better choices... You got to straighten up your house. Straighten up your apartment. Straighten up your child." Critics have attacked Cosby for his stark views in the past, accusing him of picking on the black community, but the comic admits he expected the ignorant to turn on him. He added, "Let them stay mad as long as they don't have good sense. I don't care what right-wing white people are thinking... How long are you gonna whisper about a smallpox epidemic in your apartment building when bodies are coming out under the sheets? What kept me out of trouble is going right to the edge and then thinking that my mother would be embarrassed, and that I didn't want to embarrass her, and that my father would be embarrassed, and I just didn't want to do that to my family."

No comments: