Thursday, November 04, 2004

"Is This Thing On?": Reading Aloud

Sarah Weinman invited touring writers to comment on whether they enjoyed reading aloud. I haven't toured yet, but I like hearing writers read their work. They usually put a spin on it different from my own, and I'm open to multiple interpretations.

I've always believed that the act of writing, fiction or nonfiction, demands honesty. In other words, it's easy to tell when writers aren't performing up to their own standards, whether it be lazy writing, hesitation to believe their own tales, or any number of flaws. Unless the author is a great actor, the same flaws become even more obvious when read aloud. So reading aloud can be a measure of how much an author believes in the finished product.

Reading aloud is also a performance. It can provide authors with the instant gratification writing alone lacks. Part of me has always wanted an audience. It's part of why I submit my work, why I teach, why I blog.

No comments: