Monday, November 22, 2004

When Video Games Go Too Far

Sometime between the ages of 18 and 21, I sold my Nintendo Entertainment System and around seventy games to FunCoLand for $183. I gave my Super Nintendo to a cousin, and currently have no games on my hard drive. I don't begrudge people around my age and older their video game fun; I just could no longer spend huge blocks of time defeating bosses, unlocking secrets, and gaining experience points. It was time for the real thing.

For the most part, I believe more cautionary opinions on video game violence, sexuality, etc. are too cautious. Children have to learn what is fantasy and what isn't. Changing the content of video games does not teach this lesson. Parents and teachers do. If the lesson is learned, children know whatever games they play, which behavior is acceptable in reality and which isn't.

On the 41st anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination, I am shocked to see a video game released wherein players can simulate the shooting--earning points for historically-accurate bullet-placement. The creators say they have the deepest respect for history, but it's precisely in their faithfulness to people and events that they go wrong. Players are not aiming at ducks or clay pigeons or cardboard targets. This is a painstaking representation of an actual person. This game truly blurs the line between fantasy and reality. So wrong.

No comments: