Sunday, December 26, 2004

The Day After

For the past few years, I've worked on avoiding the hype of the holiday season. When I have expectations of how well anything will go, more possibilities for disappointment also develop. For me, Christmas especially is about embracing what happens, not wishing for what I want to happen.

What did happen was a gathering of extended family in Old Bridge, NJ featuring an all-day homemade buffet (customary most of the times we get together). Highlights for me were playing "Jingle Bells" and "Ding Dong Merrily on High" on my brother's chimes (one note per person), and playing Karaoke Revolution on the PlayStation 2.

So, this year I did it. I approached each day of the season practically, keeping my mind on the moment, not expecting holiday miracles. In this frame of mind, I was able to be satisfied with my Christmas. And, trust me, that's the gift everyone really wants.

No comments: