Tuesday, December 28, 2004

What Would Your Mother Think?

New blogger ("late blogger"?) Bryon Quertermous writes:

So I just recently found out that my mom reads this blog and was not amused by my swearing and other topics of debautchery. I have a close relationship with my mom and my entire family and I respect her concerns, but several of my stories and novels have some pretty rough stuff in them and I think it adds to the story and don't plan on changing them. I guess in a perfect word, my family would support me and my writing without ever actually reading any of it, but I know that's not the case. So how do you other authors handle this kind of stuff with people who are close to you? Does anybody's mom, or grandma, or pastor, or priest, or wife, or husband, or kids etc... not approve of what they write? How do you maintain a good relationship with that person without scraping the projects they disapprove of?

I commented:

My parents pretty much left me alone as I discovered my talent and grew as a writer. Early on, if I thought a piece of writing would upset my mother, I didn't show it to her.

In recent years, she's come to appreciate the goals of each of my pieces. She's become a good judge of what needs work. (I also think she understands my work better because I write better now than I did then.)

She's still a bit biased in my favor, but we're working on that. :)

No comments: