Friday, December 31, 2004

Year in Review

A while back I mentioned I have a good memory. What I don't have is an organized memory. As such, I can't rattle off best-of-year lists at will. Thanks to record-keeping, I don't have to:

Best Read (Novel) of 2004:

KNOTS AND CROSSES by Ian Rankin - a great mix; a hard-boiled puzzler with just a twist of psychological thriller.

BALTIMORE BLUES by Laura Lipmann - made me want to read the whole series; that doesn't happen often anymore.

THE GUARDS by Ken Bruen - the subject of much blog debate; I enjoyed it, but can see why others wouldn't.

---

Best Read (Short Story) of 2004:

"Too Many Crooks" by Donald E. Westlake - a highly humorous Dortmunder tale from an undisputed master.

"Ace in the Hole" by Bill Pronzini - At his weekly poker game, the Nameless Detective solves a crime that has police baffled.

"The Pig Man" by Les Roberts - a well-spun tale of mistaken identity featuring Roberts's other P.I., Saxon.

---

Best Movie Seen in 2004:

THE INCREDIBLES - a smart take on the everyday lives of superheroes.

SPIDER-MAN 2 - the best comic-book adaptation yet.

CHINATOWN - all the classic P.I. touches with a decidely modern flavor, though set in the 1930s.

---

Best Album Buy of 2004:

INNOCENT MAN by Billy Joel - hit after 80s hit, "Tell Her About It," "Uptown Girl," "The Longest Time"...

BLUES BROTHERS Original Soundtrack - no lulls beginning to end.

THE BEST OF LYNYRD SKYNYRD Millenium Collection - a little bit country, a little bit rock n' roll.

---

Best Writing Experience of 2004:

"Home" - worked on this story for three months under the auspices of Charlie Stella and Sarah Weinman. Submitted it to Sarah for SHOTS and received an acceptance the same day.

"Forgive Me Not" - my first published P.I. story after ten years of trying just to get up that hill, featuring California P.I. Chris Harvey.

"Gypped" -- after two months racking my brain for a second Chris Harvey idea, I decide to chuck it and write what's there--a C.J. Stone short short.


I'll remember 2004 as my first year writing full-time. Though the choice was partly involuntary (teaching opportunities dried up), I'm glad to have had the time to explore and expand my portfolio. My goal was to work on something--the craft itself or my understanding of it--every day. The key to this is moving from one project to the next with as little downtime as possible. The year seems to have gone by fast, but thankfully I have the work--and this blog--to show for it.

No comments: