Thursday, January 06, 2005

James Bond Will Return (But In What Shape?)

Winter, James Winter, posted his thoughts on the future of the James Bond franchise:

...I make no secret of who I'd like to see play 007. Ewan MacGregor is my first choice, with Hugh Jackman a close second. Jackman would also make my wife a huge Bond fan. Aside from Roger Moore, though, they've generally done a good job casting Bond. Sean Connery created the role only Pierce Brosnan could fill. George Lazenby and Timothy Dalton embodied Ian Fleming's vision of Bond - charming, handsome, but with a clear dark side. Moore, when he thought about it, could be Bond. Most of the time, though, he was just Simon Templar. (I may be biased. I also liked Val Kilmer better as The Saint.) I've heard Colin Farrell bandied about, and I personally will shoot Barbara Broccoli if she hires Nic Cage. (Cage can play many parts. James Bond is not one of them.)

What concerns me is the supporting cast. Judi Dench as M, Samantha Bond as a savvier, more wary Moneypenny, and John Cleese as Q are all part of what made the Brosnan movies work. To lose them, I'm afraid, might weaken the series.

Still, that may be the best way to start over. A new M, who could be male or female. A Moneypenny building on Samantha Bond's characterization. And Q? If Desmond Llewellyn could play Q for 19 straight movies, why can't John Cleese play him for a few more?

If they do indeed start over with a younger Bond and a newer supporting cast, they should recast and retool completely. Go back to the books and play it closer to Fleming's vision. I'd say do movies based on the later books, but then who wants to see a movie based on a John Gardner Bond novel?


Dave White commented:

...How's this for a rumor I read... Brosnan might be in negotiations for the role again.... and he said he'd only negotiate again if they decided they'd do a more gritty character driven film...

To which I replied:

But DIE ANOTHER DAY was as gritty and character-driven as Bond has been since LICENCE TO KILL. (In both movies, incidentally, Bond goes rogue.) I like Brosnan, but I think it would be a mistake for him to do another movie. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN was Connery's mistake (some would say both DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER and NEVER SAY NEVER); A VIEW TO A KILL was Moore's. I'd like Brosnan to avoid the trap if possible.

The Bond franchise (including the books) needs to take a breather. With all the real threats going on in the world, filmmakers need to reevaluate how they depict make-believe threats.

No comments: