Monday, January 03, 2005

State of the Short Story

Noting Bob Tinsley's campaign to increase public awareness of short fiction, Sarah Weinman blogged about why she enjoys short stories, particularly of the mystery variety:

...I cannot count the number of times I've heard from dedicated mystery readers that they simply don't like to read short stories. A number of reasons are listed: not enough time to develop the plot or be engaged by the character, or they want to invest their energy reading a novel. I've said before and I'll say again that I don't get this attitude. When a short story is done well, it delivers a kick that's immediate and satisfies an urge that novels can't. It's an art form to write a short story in general, but a mystery story requires greater command of structure and form. So when it works, the payoff is excellent...

I commented:

In a good story, the plot *is* developed, the characters *are* engaging. I'd wager that many people who say they don't like short stories are apprehensive about reading them in the first place--worried there won't be enough space to satisfy--and their worry stops them from trying.

The art of short stories or poems (also intimidating) lies in the writers working around apparent restrictions to express themselves. For readers, spectators if you will, this can be like watching a gymnast, diver, or skater pull off a highly difficult routine. You have to give the performers their due.

I'm reading Donald E. Westlake's THIEVES' DOZEN collection of Dortmunder stories. The range he shows--from deadly serious, to mildly funny, to broad comedy--amazes me. And this is the same guy who writes the incredibly dark Parker novels.

No comments: