Friday, February 18, 2005

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Rejection?

Thankfully I'm never short of song lyrics.

Of course I'd rather be reporting on writing success after writing success, but if nothing else, rejection slips tell me I tried.

My latest rejection is from a poetry zine I've submitted to four times. This time the editor wrote that a lot of people were making it into another zine—one that's rejected my work twice.

Poetry, non-sappy poetry, doesn't come as easily to me as prose. That said, my first print credit was a poem. I'm not about to turn my back on verse, but there is a point when I have to take a hint; stop hounding one market and try another.

In more positive news, Thieves Jargon is interested in a rewrite of my sci-fi story. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Graham Powell said...

To quote (or at least paraphrase) Winston Churchill, "Never, never, never give up." I wish I had written a lot more when I was younger. Don't miss your chance!

Gerald So said...

Thanks, Graham. I feel I should have written more when I was younger, too. In any case, I value all the experience I'm getting now.