Monday, February 14, 2005

The Stuff Dreams are Made of

Duane Swierczynski gave me one good reason not to bury my head in the sand today. Sure it's Valentine's Day, but seventy-five years ago today, Dashiell Hammett's THE MALTESE FALCON was published, introducing many to the "blond Satan" Sam Spade, forefather of countless cool, calculating PIs.

January Magazine polled several Hammett devotees for reflections, including Ken Bruen, Reed Farrel Coleman, Bill Crider, and S.J. Rozan.

I came to Hammett with THE FALCON after reading many of the Spenser books, but before exposure to most other PI authors. The Humphrey Bogart movie left a definite impression, and I appreciated the book for its dead-on dialogue and description. It's easy to see why so many writers were inspired after reading about Spade.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Gerald. Glad that post helped you salavage something out of this perfectly miserable day. (That's not to say that I'm lovelorn... I just hate Hallmark holidays.) Viva la Hammett!

Gerald So said...

Yes. Thanks again, Duane.

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't forget that today marks another (in)famous event. Seventy-six years ago today, Big Al had seven of Bugs Moran's guys rubbed out. If that doesn't get the sappy romance out of February 14th, I don't know what will.