Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Poker Jumping the Shark

I've written a couple of stories featuring poker, but I've never put actual money on any game of chance. After hearing Jim Swain's anecdotes, I'm even less tempted. Between 2002 and 2004, though, I enjoyed watching the World Series of Poker on ESPN.

Since then, several poker and blackjack shows have entered the mainstream, including ESPN's own drama Tilt, which led me to discover how little I care about poker players' backstories.

The latest poker show I've sampled is Game Show Network's Poker Royale, pitting three celebrities against three professional players. I'm only watching this for sideline reporter Lisa Dergan.

Sidelines in poker? Come on. Poker is a game. Chess is a game. Scrabble is a game. Spelling bees are contests. I'd rather watch sports.

No comments: