Thursday, May 05, 2005

Stella at Dead End

Caught up with Charlie Stella at Dead End Books last night and bought his latest, CHEAPSKATES. Charlie talked frankly about the economic reality of being a working writer, namely losing more money than you make. Despite this, Stella has the writing bug, and wouldn't give it up with a gun to his head. I'm starting to realize I have the same passion, and I hope to develop the discipline both to plan projects and see them through no matter what.

After the signing, I had a Coke with Charlie, his wife Ann Marie, his buddy Doc Nyland, unpublished novelist Robert, and Paul, Eileen, and Colleen of Dead End. It was an evening of good fellowship with Charlie, who, about a year ago, went out of his way to offer feedback on my story "Home", which led to its eventual acceptance at SHOTS.

No comments: