Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Tom Cruise Jumps the Sofa (and the Shark)

Posted yesterday on IMDb:
Cruise: "I Can't Be Cool with Holmes"

Tom Cruise excused himself for leaping all over TV talk show Oprah Winfrey's sofa and giggling through their recent interview by stating love had turned him into a lunatic. The movie star spent the first half of his TV interview with Winfrey, which aired yesterday in America, cooing about his girlfriend Katie Holmes and punching the air. He said, "I can't be cool... I can't be laidback. It's something that has happened and I feel I want to celebrate it and I wanna celebrate her. She's a very special woman." But the movie star admits he was cool when they first started dating - as he laid on a series of romantic surprises including a motorcycle ride on a beach and decorating their hotel room in Rome, Italy with rose petals. He added, "I don't really go to restaurants because I like doing things... I'm a romantic, I love stuff like that... I like treating a woman the way that she deserves to be treated. I was raised by women and I love this woman. With me, it's scuba diving and motorcycles and roses. I like seeing people happy... and I celebrate that and so I feel like I wanna share it with people because it's something that's very special." And when Winfrey asked him if he truly was smitten with Holmes, he laughed, "I'm standing on your couch!"

And today:

Cruise Slams Shields' Drug Use

Tom Cruise has criticized Hollywood pal Brooke Shields' "misguided" use of the anti-depressant Paxil, while declaring the actress' career as over. In an interview with Billy Bush on TV show Access Hollywood, to be screened on Thursday, Cruise speaks of his disappointment to learn Shields used Paxil to fight post-natal depression following the birth of her daughter Rowan. Shields is currently weaning herself off her medication so she and husband Chris Henchy can have another child. Cruise, who claims to have helped people fight drug addictions through his controversial Scientology religion, says the Suddenly Susan actress should have used vitamins to help her feelings of despair. Cruise says, "Here is a woman, and I care about Brooke Shields because I think she is an incredibly talented woman. You look at, where has her career gone?" Despite the Minority Report actor's declaration her career is over, Shields is currently receiving rave reviews playing murderess Roxie Hart in the London theatre production of Chicago. Cruise maintains, "These drugs are dangerous. I have actually helped people come off. When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that. You can use vitamins to help a woman through those things."

1 comment:

*~*Michelle*~* said...

He is really flipping out, isn't he? And helping people come off of anti-depressants...wow...he must be a therapist, too!