Wednesday, June 01, 2005

False Start

I didn't sleep last night, wanting to make my first submission of the month on the first day of the month. I'd been researching MudRock Stories & Tales, a fiction-only mag out of Dayton, Ohio. I figured it would be a good market for my not-quite-crime fiction piece, "Lost and Found," and I figured I could make a few small changes and have it in the mail today.

Wrong. Going over the story, the action seemed too breezy. I alluded to conflict, but I didn't really feel it. I'd have to see if I could better dramatize some of the scenes that were glossed over in previous drafts. In other words, I have a lot of work ahead and haven't put my finger on where to start. Back to square minus-one.

And so I utter that most famous consolation: "There's always tomorrow."

Lean on me,
when you're not strong,
and I'll be your friend...

No comments: