Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Lois and Clark DVD Review

I received my Season One DVD set today, and on the whole it brings back great memories. I'd always been something of a Superman fan, but this show made him relatable specifically to me. Teri Hatcher was already one of my favorite actresses, and I was more drawn to her Lois than Margot Kidder's. Deborah Joy LeVine created a Clark Kent who could contend with Lois, and relative newcomer Dean Cain brought natural charm to the role. That Cain was a quarter Asian also helped me relate. In fact, everyone in the cast brought the characters to vivid life for me.

Now to the DVD itself: the pilot commentary by Cain, LeVine, and director Robert Butler is great, as are the featurettes. Strangely though, there is no invidual scene selection for each episode. You can step through manually, but what is that, really? The DVD case is the worst I've encountered. The slots are designed so you can't take out Disc Two without removing Disc One, and you can't return Disc One unless Disc Two is in place. The same goes for Discs Four and Six. Awkward. Lastly, I guess I shouldn't have expected much from the bonus disc, but there's no scene selection or title screen on it, either.

Overall megafan's rating: 3 out of 5

No comments: