Saturday, June 25, 2005

Mr. and Mrs. Smith



Frequent readers of this blog know I will watch almost anything Angelina Jolie does. The touted chemistry between Jolie and Brad Pitt was there, but not a juggernaut. In fact, I easily forgot the tabloid buzz around them while watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith. There was enough spark for the movie to work, but I can believe the actors went their separate ways when the day was done.

Likewise, there was a lot of shoot-em-up action and close-quarters combat but enough story in between to drive things. I had heard the script was bad, but I didn't think so. With bullets flying and bombs exploding, the protags had no time to resort to cheesy one-liners. I found their dialogue consistent with a couple rediscovering each other.

The crucial aspect I had to believe was that the protags actually cared for each other despite professional ethics, and I believed this, too. In short, a nice distracting summer flick that stayed on track.

No comments: