Sunday, July 24, 2005

Achievement

I had brunch at IHOP with a college friend in from Minnesota. Having discovered her passion to teach during a stint in the Peace Corps, she recently completed graduate Education coursework and student-teaching and landed a job teaching 8th and 9th graders and coaching basketball and volleyball.

In the year-plus since I last saw her, I've had several stories and poems published, but there didn't seem a good moment to mention them. I think it was a case of writing accomplishment not meaning the same or as much to non-writers. Still, that left me with less to talk about.

I realize this is competitive of me, but who doesn't want to have a good answer for "What have you been up to lately?"

3 comments:

Dave White said...

I don't know Gerald. I usually shoe-horn it into my conversations. But people react pretty well to it. But I understand what you mean, sometimes it's just better to let a friend talk about her achievements.

Gerald So said...

Dave wrote:

I don't know Gerald.

Ah, the importance of the comma. :)

Anonymous said...

Dude, you should totally get a blog on post all your accomplishments there! : P

Sorry I missed you guys this weekend. I did get 4th. Best finish this year, thus far.