Sunday, July 31, 2005

How are you? Not much.

My friend Regan, in from Minnesota, flies back today, but yesterday she met baby Emma Francine Ricotta (daughter of John and Kelly) over brunch.

Saying our goodbyes, John said he was glad we could get together given our increasingly busy schedules.

Regan said she was sorry the visit was so short-lived.

I said, "It's always better that way."

And Regan said, "What do you mean?"

Yet another line of dialogue that sounded better before I said it.

What I meant was, if friends are only able to visit for a short time, the quality of that time is better. Every detail worked out in order to visit reminds us how special friendship is.

A fine sentiment that could've used better execution. Writers rarely get it right the first time, and I recovered by saying, "Can I delete and revise that?"

No comments: