Thursday, August 18, 2005

Spenser Rebooted?

On his excellent Spenser homepage, Bullets & Beer, Bob Ames reprints Kenneth J. Souza's recent interview with Robert B. Parker. The following exchange was most interesting to me:

Souza: Any plans for future Spenser movies? I know Joe Mantegna starred in a few made-for-TV movies recently.

Parker: No, not at the moment. There is some very pie-in-the-sky talk about bringing it back as a series with new actors in a sort of upgraded, modern, hip 21st century version. But, we'll see. Most of the things that are said in Hollywood don't happen. Fortunately, I have a day job and I stick with it!


Hmm. Could Spenser and friends be updated and still retain enough of their personalities to satisfy fans?

I'm interested in anyone's attempt to adapt anything from print to the screen. I don't think it diminishes legacies—except perhaps in the case of Star Wars Eps. 1-3.

I'm reminded of a late 90s Mike Hammer TV movie, Come Die with Me starring Rob Estes (Silk Stalkings, Melrose Place) as Hammer and Pamela Anderson as Velda. I didn't actually watch the movie, so I don't know how well it worked.

To discuss Spenser and Parker's works further, feel free to join Spenser's Sneakers.

No comments: