Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Dave White's Writing Block

Jackson Donne author Dave White has been scrounging for something, anything, new to blog. In response to his dilemma, David Terrenoire commented:

This is precisely why I don't blog.

Instead, I rant to my wife and she has the good sense to ignore me.


I'm not a fan of blogs that exist solely or largely to rant. I started this blog early last year and thought I'd quickly run out of things to say, but I haven't. Here's why:

1) Since some people know me as an editor or moderator, my blog covers not only these fields, but all my interests.

2) Despite the wide-openness, I make sure whatever I want to post catches my interest for at least one sentence (i.e. one coherent thought).

3) My blog has become a visual reminder of my thought processes, keeping them more organized, more ready to become creative writing than if I didn't blog. Blogging works better for me than a paper journal. I dislike the word "journal". It seems falsely formal (French for "diary"), too formal to describe the work I do with pen and paper.

4) I don't post much detail about works in progress because my ideas are still forming, not quite coherent.

No comments: