Saturday, September 17, 2005

To Parker on His 73rd Birthday

Robert B. Parker's birthday has me thinking of longevity. When asked why they still read Parker, many fans say that Spenser and company are like old friends. Point taken, but there are authors/series we stop reading. Two of mine are James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux and John Sandford's Lucas Davenport. I've also almost given up on Robert Crais's Elvis Cole. Why do we give up on some authors yet keep reading others?

One reason is that series become too personal. The books become less about the protagonist plying his trade and more about the many facets of his personal life. Another reason is that series fall into patterns that are too predictable. While both of these have been true of Parker's series from time to time, a big reason people still read him is that his prose style is very accessible; somehow it seems clearer than a lot of other styles.

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Gerald So said...

I agree Robicheaux is more interesting than Spenser; flawed characters offer a wider emotional palette than more heroic types.

One reason I read Parker is that I moderate a Parker list and wouldn't feel right commenting if I didn't keep tabs on his work. Then again, if I didn't moderate a list, I might be able to sit back and enjoy, suspend my critical read.

I have the first two C.J. Box/Joe Pickett books on the shelf. I'll try them soon.