Wednesday, October 25, 2006

"Who's the master?"

Click your mouse button if you recognize the entry title as a line from Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon. This post is actually about grad school. While sifting through my basement archives, I rediscovered three Post-It notes saved from my thesis adviser's door:

Gerald!

Come in, sit down.

I'll be right back...


My adviser was a great teacher who sharpened my writing senses and made me strive for insight in my stories without breaking my spirit in the process. I wish he'd been on time for more of our conferences, but I took his lateness as a challenge to figure out more on my own. Ultimately, I decided not to go straight into a Ph.D. program, to try and motivate myself because I'd have to do it someday anyway.

"Who's the master?"

"I am."

No comments: