Monday, November 06, 2006

WENN: Neil Patrick Harris: "I'm Gay"

Actor Neil Patrick Harris has ended mounting speculation about his sexuality, by revealing he is gay. The How I Met Your Mother star was recently outed by a website, which claimed he helped his alleged boyfriend land a role in the sitcom. His publicist Craig Snyder played down the reports, insisting "he's not of that persuasion." But Harris has revealed all to People magazine's website because of "speculation and interest in my private life and relationships." He says, "(I) am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest." Harris found fame as a young actor playing a teenage doctor in Doogie Howser, MD.

I've been thinking about the fishbowl actors live in. They certainly can't stay as private as lesser-known people. With fame comes a fanship wanting to know as much as they can about the people behind the roles. Harris says he's proud to make this announcement, but I don't know that he would've made it had the website not outed him. I regret the pressure fan curiosity puts on actors.

No comments: