Thursday, January 04, 2007

2006 Thrillies Ballot

Here are my responses to Thrilling Detective's annual poll of the best in P.I. fiction:

BEST P.I. BOOK FIRST PUBLISHED IN 2006:

A Stolen Season by Steve Hamilton

BEST P.I. BOOK READ IN 2006:

The Barbed-Wire Kiss by Wallace Stroby

BEST NEW P.I., ANY MEDIUM:

Shawn Spencer of USA Network's Psych

BEST P.I. FILM/TV SHOW PREMIERED IN 2006:

Psych

WHAT THEY SHOULD BE THINKING
P.I. TV Shows and Movies That SHOULD Be on DVD

Spenser: For Hire, Vengeance Unlimited

BEST MYSTERY MAG, WEB SITE, E-ZINE, LIST-SERV, BLOG or NEWSGROUP (Besides Your Own):

CrimeSpot.net, Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind, James O. Born's Amazon Blog

WISDOM OF THE AGES
The Best Thing I Ever Learned from a P.I. Novel Was...

Never use a fist when a verbal jab will do.

REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL
What Gives You Hope for the Future

All the talented people I've worked with and met as Thrilling Fiction Editor and DetecToday moderator.

The April 2007 release of Payback: Straight Up, Brian Helgeland's director's cut.

NO FUTURE, NO FUTURE
Most Depressing P.I. Trend

Anytime a P.I. is portrayed as a crass snoop or walking cliche, moreso in movies and TV I've seen than books (e.g. Matt Dillon as Pat Healy in There's Something About Mary)

THE "THAT''S MORE LIKE IT" AWARD
Best Cover Art

St. Martin's cover for The Blonde

SO LONG, IT'S BEEN GOOD TO KNOW YOU
We'll Miss Them...

Darren McGavin, Dennis Weaver, Jack Palance

No comments: